Jul

SA Callanetics Program

sara2-small

The name Callanetics was coined by its originator Callan Pinckney, who in turn learned a similar type of exercise from her forerunner, Lotte Berk in the UK. The program was further developed with the help of doctors, physiotherapists and specialists for human movement co-ordination mainly in Switzerland and has become a therapeutic form of exercise.

Movements are executed three-dimensionally and are tiny. This way the deepest muscle layers are worked, the muscles become lean and elongated (as opposed to bulky) and results show quickly. Often people report a noticeable improvement after only four or five classes. Effects are cumulative, and even after years of following the SA Callanetics programme, improvements still happen.

This together with the correct activation of the pelvic floor muscles and the consistent lengthening of the spine bring about postural improvements and loss of inches all round, which in turn not only improves appearance with a leaner and more toned body, but also brings about a myriad of health benefits, eg: elimination or improvement of chronic back pain, better quality of and a need for less sleep, more energy, natural appetite control, improved strength, endurance and flexibility,better co-ordination and balance, and people ‘grow’ by an average of 1 to 4 centimetres, as posture improves and the spine stretches and lengthens.

In each class the exercises are precisely co-ordinated with each other to train all muscle groups.Exact positions and tiny movements with many repetitions activate muscle cells and build strength.Dynamic stretching of the muscles makes them flexible.

Routines change regularly, and physio balls, elastic bands, small weights and other equipment are often used to avoid boredom and to challenge the body in different ways on an on-going basis.

What to Expect in Class

The SA Callanetics programme is taught in small groups of no more than 12 participants, so instructors can give individual attention to all class participants, making sure that postures are correct, therefore achieving the best possible result for each client. This also allows people of varying fitness levels and different age groups to exercise together, and even special needs clients (eg: pregnant ladies and people with certain limitations due to injury or operations) can be accommodated. Classes are one hour long.

Participants wear comfortable clothing not restricting the waist. However clothes should be fitted and body hugging (not necessarily skin tight) in order to enable the client as well as the instructor to observe postures and develop an awareness of the anatomically correct way of moving not just during classes, but also in every-day life. No shoes are worn during SA Callanetics classes, but socks are recommended in winter.

Finding Classes

There are several studios in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Mpumalanga, Bloemfontein, Klerksdorp, and as more instructors are trained in comprehensive teachers training courses, furtherstudios open country wide.

People who don’t have a studio nearby, can make use of the 8 DVDs which have been produced for home use, offering different workouts varying in length and intensity, including a face exercise DVD and an introductory DVD explaining basic techniques with a series of preparatory exercises for newcomers.

Video Workouts

SA Callanetics produced several DVDs with workouts of different lengths which can be downloaded here or ordered as physical DVDs from: info@ctasa.org.za

For more information access the website www.ctasa.org.za where a list of all existing studios with contact details can be found, or contact the CTASA at info@ctasa.org.za / +27 11 795 3311.

If you liked this article you should follow me on twitter

28 Responses to "SA Callanetics Program"

1. Marie Visagie

July 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

could you please be so kind and send me info about Callenetics classes in the Pretoria aera.

Kind regards.

July 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Hi Marie, If you go to our website: http://www.ctasa.org.za and click on ‘studios & instructors’, you will find details of the Pretoria Callanetics studios. Kind regards, Sylvia

2. Carol

November 6, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi, I’m looking for callanetic classes in East London, Nahoon area… Many thanx. Carol

3. Giovanni Fortuin

January 4, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Where in Cape Town can I find a callanetics studio to study yoga as a career

4. Sharon

January 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hi!
    Could you please help me to find a Callanetic Class in Bloemfontein.
    Thank you so much!
    Sharon.

July 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi, Sharon, just looked through my comments and found yours. Sorry for not seeing it earlier. If you go to our website: http://www.ctasa.org.za, you will find
      all the studios & instructors around the country. Scroll down to the Free State and you will find a contact there. Kind regards. Sylvia

5. Charmain

January 6, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I am looking for classes in the Moot area of pretoria or in Pta North area

6. Maureen Hall

October 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm

I am looking for a Callanetics class in either Randburg or Roodepoort.
    Can you please help

May 9, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Hi, Maureen, if you go to our website: http://www.ctasa.org.za, you will find a list of all the studios with contact details under ‘studios & instructors’. My studio is in Sundowner, Randburg, near Northgate. If this is close enough for you, please inbox me: info@ctasa.org.za, and I will send you all the relevant information.

May 18, 2016 at 7:19 pm

if you go to our website: http://www.ctasa.org.za and click on ‘studios & instructors’ you will find studios in your area, eg: Callanetics Studio Suncabin in Sundowner, Randburg (near Northgate) – this is my studio, or Callanetics Studio Poortview in Roodepoort.

October 4, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Hi, Maureen, please inbox me on info@ctasa.org.za, so I can send you my studio’s details. We are in Sundowner, Randburg. If you go to http://www.ctasa.org.za, you will also find a studio in Poortview and one in Roodekrans under ‘studios & instructors’

7. Pencil

October 12, 2015 at 2:27 am

Why is the face exercise DVD not available to purchase as a DVD or as a download?

May 9, 2016 at 9:19 pm

you can order a copy directly from us. inbox me on info@ctasa.org.za and let me know where you live, then I will send you the information.

May 18, 2016 at 7:18 pm

It is available as a DVD (without a fancy cover). My daughter lives in the UK and could post you a copy.

8. trish greyling

August 4, 2016 at 10:52 am

Are there any classes in Pretoria South, Elarduspark, Monumentpark, Wingate PArk, Moreletapark?

October 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Dear Trish, unfortunately there is only a studio in Erasmia, Laudium, and the instructor there also teaches 2 morning classes a week in Centurion (look for Sara Ismail on http://www.ctasa.org.za under ‘studios & instructors’. We are desperate for more instructors in Pretoria, and hopefully someone will come and do our course soon.
      In the meantime we can only help you with one of our DVDs, if the above studios are too far from you. If you inbox me (info@ctasa.org.za) I can send you our DVD info and prices with order procedure.

9. cornelia v.d.merwe

August 5, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Please let me know if any classes in Fourways, or Midrand, or sun valley. Thank you.

October 4, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Dear Cornelia, if you go to our website: http://www.ctasa.org.za, you will find a list of all available studios in South Africa under ‘studios & instructors’. Look for Janice Allen in Fourways (Norscot Manor) or Penny Smith in Rivonia.

10. Claire

October 9, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Hi there
    I have tried going to the website ctasa.org.za and it gives me a 500 error. Please can you assist- I’m trying to find studios/ classes in my area.
    Many thanks

11. Lynette

October 12, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I get the same 500 error when trying to access the Web page. I would like to see the list of available studios in South Africa as well as more information on costs & requirements to become an instructor please.

April 24, 2017 at 9:32 am

Hi, Lynette, our website has been fixed. Please try again or inbox me on
      sylvia@ctasa.org.za, then I will send you a DVD list. Regards, Sylvia

12. Sara Macauley

October 18, 2016 at 7:23 am

Hi Sylvia,

I have just purchased the Callanetics Volume 2 download but I keep getting an error message when I click the link (I am using an iPad).

Could you please resend me the link to my email?

April 24, 2017 at 9:31 am

Hi, Sara, you can return it to me, I will gladly replace it.
      Inbox me with your details on
      sylvia@ctasa.org.za

13. Nikki Shackleford

January 11, 2017 at 8:47 am

Hi Sylvia here. I am rejoining Callanetics tomorrow at 5.15.
    I believe you are in cape town so will catch up with you on your return.

Look forward to seeing you again.

April 24, 2017 at 9:32 am

Hi, Nikki
      When did you send this message? I would love to see you back in class. Love, Sylvia

14. Carol Geere

February 26, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Hi, I’m looking for callanetic classes in Cape Town, Western Cape, Northern Suburb… Many thanx. Carol

April 24, 2017 at 9:33 am

Hi, Carol, if you go to our website
      you will find a tab on top: studios & instructors
      click on it and scroll down to Cape Town for all the studios there.

Submit a comment