Fish Pie – amazingly easy, but sooo tasty & healthy
This Fish Pie recipe has been adapted from a Jamie Oliver Recipe, and in true J.O. style, it is easy, fuss free, and fast to rustle up – great for when guests come to dinner, as it serves 6. It can be adapted to diary free, by omitting the cheese and adding Nature’s Choice Mock Parmesan Cheese, or make your own vegan cheese from any of the many available raw cook books, or just chop cashew or macademia nuts very finely (in a power blender this can be done within a few seconds, in a food processor it takes slightly longer). Add spices, a good salt, like Himalaya Salt, chopped herbs, and mix in instead of cheese.
Use organic ingredients as much as possible.
- Himalaya Salt (or sea salt) and freshly ground black or mixed pepper
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 large (or 2 smaller) carrots, grated or finely chopped in a power blender
- 2 large sticks of celery, grated or finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 150 g grated cheese (or finely chopped in power blender) – eg: Cheddar, Emmenthaler, Guyere or similar
- a bunch of flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- a handful or two of spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 – 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 300 g salmon fillets, skin and bones removed, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 300 g undyed, smoked haddock (or un-smoked haddock or hake), chopped into bite-size pieces
- Olive oil for potato topping and to drizzler over pie ingredients
- if you have: 1/2 glass of left-over white wine
- Preheat oven to 200 degr C
- Cut potatoes into 2 cm chunks and boil in salted water for approx. 12 minutes or until done.
- Take a large baking tray or earthenware dish.
- Add all ingredients except potatoes
- Drizzle with olive oil and juice from the zested lemon (no pips)
- Add Himalaya (or herbal) salt and pepper to taste and mix everything together well
- Mash potatoes with a squeeze-through potato masher (the skins will stay behind, so no need to peel potatoes (if you don’t have a squeeze through masher, peel potatoes before cooking), add olive oil, salt and pepper and stir until it is smooth and fluffy, add more oil and salt if necessary
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the rest of the pie ingredients, then drizzle with oil
- Place in pre-heated oven and reduce heat to 150 to 180 degrees (depending on how hot your oven gets).
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with a large green salad
If you liked this article you should follow me on twitterFollow @SylviaLampe