Raw Mango Pie
It is mango season in South Africa, and mangoes are cheap right now. As promised here is the Mango Pie recipe – it is easy, quick, healthy and yummy. Make a few and freeze for when mangoes are out of season. Or just freeze peeled, chopped mangoes and use from frozen.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 2 cups cashew nuts or almonds (or a mixture of both) – soaked for 2 – 12 hours, then dried either in the sun for approx. 1 1/2 hours or in a dehydrator or simply with a clean tea towel, then finely ground.
- Organic maple syrup or honey – enough to make a sticky dough when mixed with the ground nuts.
- Add organic coconut blossom sugar or xylitol if you like it sweeter (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of natural vanilla powder or contents of one vanilla pod
- Mix all the above ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Press into pie dish
- Refrigerate until filling is ready
Alternatively you can also use the base of the Raw Lemon Pie.
Ingredients for filling:
- 3 – 4 mangoes (depending on size) – peeled & stone removed
- 2/3 cup of organic coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalaya salt
- 1/2 natural vanilla
- honey or coconut blossom sugar if mangoes are not sweet enough. (taste mixture first, as mostly one does not need any extra sweetener)
- Blend all ingredients together
- Fill into pie shell
- Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or freeze
- Decorate with berries and serve cold
Ring the changes:
Leave the crust out and serve the filling as a dessert mousse topped with berries.
If you liked this article you should follow me on twitterFollow @SylviaLampe