Sweet Potato & Spinach/Kale Bake
The kale and spinach in my vegetable box outside my kitchen door is growing at an amazing rate, so I have to come up with new ways to eat them in order to not get bored. Here is a yummy and easy recipe I pulled out of my own hat last week, which I will definitely be making regularly in future, as it turned out to be delicious.
SWEET POTATO & SPINACH/KALE BAKE
Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed (no need to peel)
- 1 large bunch of spinach, kale or swiss chard (I used half spinach, half kale) – chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- chopped chili – optional
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 Tablespoon fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey (or organic coconut blossom sugar)
- crumbled feta (preferably goats milk) – optional
- 125 ml coconut milk
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons organic coconut oil (for stir frying the vegetables)
- Cold pressed olive oil for coating the sweet potatoes
- Melt coconut oil in pan or Wok
- Add onions, spinach, ginger, nutmeg & chili
- Stir-fry for a few minutes
- Add garlic, salt & pepper to taste, stir a gain a few times, then take off the heat
- Slice sweet potatoes paper thin (I used a Chinese slicing knife, which is fast, but you can also use a food processor or a mandolin)
- In a baking dish mix olive oil, lemon juice, honey, thyme, salt & pepper, then toss the sweet potato slices in this mixture until well coated.
- Take half the sweet potato slices out of the pan and spread the rest evenly to cover the bottom of the pan
- Spread the spinach mixture over the sweet potatoes
- Spread crumbled feta over, if using
- Spread the other half of the sweet potatoes to cover the vegetables
- Pour the coconut milk over
- Bake at 150 degr C for approx. 40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Enjoy as a main dish with a raw salad, or as a side dish.
If you liked this article you should follow me on twitterFollow @SylviaLampe