SWEET POTATO GNOCCHIS WITH CREAMY MUSHROOMS
A healthy, satisfying meal that is quick to prepare. Double up on the gnocchi recipe and freeze half for a later date. These can also be served with different sauces, eg: pesto, Napoli etc.
This dish is as good on cold winter evenings as it is for al fresco meals in the hotter months.
for the gnocchi:
- 250 ml sweet potato puree (mashed, boiled sweet potatoes, cooled in the fridge)
- +/- 750 ml flour (spelt, rye, wholewheat, or a mixture)
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- a little cold pressed olive oil
for the mushrooms:
- approx. 400 g mushrooms (button, brown, porcini, or a mixture), sliced
- 1 finely chopped onion
- approx. 2 T coconut oil, or more if needed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 ml coconut milk or cream
- soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste
- fresh or dried thyme
- optional: a little chili
- optional: 100 g crumbled blue cheese or grated parmiggiano to serve
- combine sweet potato puree, flour, nutmeg, salt & pepper
- knead until smooth, let dough rest for 20 minutes in fridge
- halve the mixture and make two long rolls, then cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- cook gnocchi in a big pot of salted, boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Drain in colander and carefully stir in some olive oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan or Wok, add onions and garlic and stir fry for a minute
- Add the mushrooms and Thyme, continue to stir fry for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with soy sauce, salt & pepper, and chili if using.
- Stir in the coconut milk or cream and cook for another few minutes.
- Mix the gnocchi to the mushroom sauce, stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle over cheese
- Serve with a mixed leaf green salad
If you liked this article you should follow me on twitterFollow @SylviaLampe